Monday, June 22, 2009

Streets of New York

I have been particularily lucky during the few days I spent in New York. I got to visit a legendary city and to love it. I got to meet old and new friends, and people I had not seen for almost 30 years as well as people I did not expect to meet here.


I was also lucky because I got to visit two of New York producers markets, all part of the Greenmarket network of 46 markets in Manhattan alone. The Greenmarket farmers market has been around since 1976, and the best known is probably the Union Square Market, where everything green and fresh is sold, including potted plants and flowers.


I was also able to visit and buy food from the smaller market in Dag Hammarskjold plaza, right across AUB's NYC office. It is held every Wednesday and had excellent produce.

And just when I thought that was it for street fun, I happened to walk into the street fair on Lexington Ave this morning. The fair extends over nearly one kilometer. The stalls are a bit repetitive, without fresh produce but lots of cheap ethnic foods and products.




1 comment:

Leila Abu-Saba said...

I moved to NYC in 1981 as a college student; there were two markets that I knew of then, Union Square and Tompkins Square Park. The street festivals were small ethnic events in those days but this custom of selling all manner of items at fairs was happening already. Now the street fair is everywhere. All major cities and many minor ones have them. You can buy amazing stuff in NYC on the street and it's a constant battle between the brick-and-mortar merchants (in stores) and the street vendors.
Yes the stuff can be repetitive. In fact you see the same fake Balinesian scarves in NYC that you can find in Berkeley, CA. But if you know where to look, there are vendors who carry amazing items.
And now there are flea markets as well - college friends of mine sell regularly at the new Brooklyn Flea market - upscale antiquaire items, newly manufactured dishes, etc.

Isn't NY grand? I am glad you are having a good time...