Foreign Affairs 501
Take Home Exam
Any individual working for an aid organization is required to pass this exam and a B+ or higher must be achieved to attain “left wing” status.
Please write 500 words answering each of three of the following questions.
1) Do people really feel better when their elected government is destroyed by democracy promotion rather than subversion?
2) Should it be called “aid” or “aiding and abetting” when you give a country weapons of mass destruction?
3) Why is it called a non-governmental organization (NGO) when it gets most of its funding from governments?
4) Why do progressive people, who think privatized medical and social welfare services are a right wing plot in their own wealthy countries, donate money to organizations that replace government-run services in poor countries?
5) Are some major Western non-governmental organizations really just an arm of imperialism?
Bonus marks will be awarded if you answer all five.
If you're interested in this, check also a very long post, the first on this blog: Disillusionment in development.