Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Syrian summer

"My first taste of Syrian food (or, to be more accurate, fruit) nearly killed me. My mother had just weaned me off milk when she had to leave me with my aunt on the family farm in Syria where we spent our summer holidays. My aunt’s beautiful 19th century stone house was built around a courtyard where my father had his own designated fig tree; and it was the fruit from that tree that Ammto (aunt in Arabic) Zahiyeh decided to give me as my first solid meal, with near-disastrous consequences. Naturally, I don’t remember my near-death experience but, perversely, I like to trace my love of Syrian food to that first meal; and subsequently to all the summers I spent with my aunt eating everything made on the farm, from bread, butter and cheese, to pickles, preserves and sweets. And almost everything she made was different to what my mother and grandmother cooked in Lebanon where we lived the rest of the year."

Beautifully written article by dear Anissa Helou.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great feeling in your words about Syrian food. I guess I will now have to try some. But, I will pick the right time and place and try to make it as memorable as it is authentic. I think I will try the country version first. I guess a trip to the Syrian countryside just made it's way onto my travel list. Suggestions?
Terry

Anonymous said...

try meshta el-helou, where my family comes from. it has now become a very popular summer resort and there must be good restaurants there. also, there are women making tannur bread on the road leading up to meshta el-helou from Apamea, if i remember correctly. but the best rural food is in people's homes. i remember a trip to doura europos when my mother and i stopped at a house where women were baking tannur bread. they very kindly invited us to join them for lunch. it was so lovely to sit with the women, talk about marriage and children (not that i have any) and just enjoy the simple, yet delicious food. you may be just as lucky on your travels and find such a family to share a meal with.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much.
A nice resort town has it's appeal, but I really prefer the one on one, as you suggest for a personal countryside visit.
I put your comments in my new travel folder, along with the food site Rami has provided a link to.
My gosh! I'm really interested in trying the breads, cheeses and yogurt. I look forward to finding a nice Lamb or goat recipe.
Terry