Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In my garden, wild plants grow


 I have a tiny garden in Sinay, my village in Jabal `Amel, South Lebanon, but many wild plants grow spontaneously in it. This year, the rains have been plentiful and the weather mild: zaatar (above) Origanum syriacum is doing very well. Zoufa, (below) Micromeria julian which is harvested, dried and used in zhourat (tisane) has also sprouted. 




And for the first time: Irises...I have identified them as Iris sisyrinchium using Ahmad Houri's excellent website.

1 comment:

tasteofbeirut said...

I am one of your fans and got one of your books; did not know you had others out and I will order them asap. would you mind taking a look at the wild herbs some friends gathered recently, perhaps you could shed some light on their name and usage? that would be so awesome!!
http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2012/05/wild-herbs-in-lebanon/

Thank you so much!!