Monday, May 4, 2009

Bedouin designs

When you say "Bedouins", most people automatically think of camels and sheep and strong, bitter coffee. But bedouin women also make beautiful pillows decorated with ancient designs. But these pillows (and the traditional designs) are disappearing as they get replaced with cheap manufactured stuff. I'm helping a group of Bedouin women from the Bekaa set up their little pillow-making and sale operation. Look at these beauties (and these are photos taken with the phone camera).


















4 comments:

Leila Abu-Saba said...

Are these for sale? They are indeed amazing.

Matisse got his ideas for the cut-outs from such work, I am certain.

Rami Zurayk said...

Hey Leila,

Yes they will be for sale within 15 days. Let me know if you or any friends are intereste, it is a nice autonomous local development project, It does not receive any donor money.

Rania Masri said...

Hi Rami

I am interested. How can I help?

-Rania

D. said...

Hi Dr Zurayk
I am interested as well!
But I live in London but I am sure many will be interested.
I will email you and see if I can help as well.

Dima