Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Food Sovereignty Free Trade Conference

I'm speaking in this conference on Saturday December 6



Green Line Association and the International NGO/CSO Planning Committee for Food Sovereignty (IPC) are organizing a regional workshop titled:

Food Sovereignty vs. Free Trade - "Towards an alternative multilateral Agricultural Governance Framework"

In the wake of the global food and financial crises and the collapse of the Doha Round of the WTO negotiations, the main objectives of the workshop are to emphasize the importance of bringing the issues of food sovereignty and security into the forefront of the political discussion and planning for the region and to discuss the existing potentials for socially and environmentally responsible agricultural trade regimes arising from the failure of the free market as acknowledge by its protagonists. The workshop aims additionally at proposing the main requirements for an alternative international governance system for agriculture and food.

The workshop will include the launching of the Arabic version of the "Slow Trade - Sound Farming: A Multilateral Framework for Sustainable Markets in Agriculture. A publication developed by the Heinrich Böll Foundation and MISEREOR.

The workshop will be held in Lebanon from December 5-7, 2008 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Beirut.

You attendance is highly appreciated and most welcome of course.

3 comments:

Sam S. Chereskin said...

I'm an american student at the University of Chicago, and I'm studying contemporary movements towards sustainable agricultural development. I'd really like to have more information about the Food Sovereignty Free Traide Conference that you are going to be speaking at. I'm gearing my pursuits towards understanding international development and how to make it better. Any help you can provide me would be invaluable. You can find me at africachicago.blogspot.com and at schereskin@gmail.com

Thank you very much,

Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi. Could you please tell me where I can find out more info about the conference? Will it be in English?
Many thanks.

Rami Zurayk said...

The conference will be in English or there will be simultaneous translation. I have an agenda, but too long to post. I suggest you contact the main organizer, Ali Darwish of Green Line at arisour@cyberia.net.lb

Rami